Letting a residential property in Dover for the first time

Residential House Lettings in Dover

Letting out a residential house can often be quite intimidating for a first time landlord. There are several points to consider and several things that are a legal requirement. This is a check listing of items to remember when considering letting out your dwelling.

Mortgage – Get in touch with your current mortgage provider and be certain your current mortgage is appropriate to rental properties. If it was in the past mortgaged as your primary household, it is quite possible that you are going to have to modify your mortgage.

Gas Safety – If the house provides a gas boiler or other home appliances such as gas fires, you will need to get a landlords gas safety certification. This is referred to as a CP12 and is required to be renewed every year. Once more this a a legal necessity and failure to recurrently renew this will most definitely land you in deep trouble.

Inventory – Whether you are letting your household out as furnished or not furnished you will want an inventory because this can help in disagreements relating to the deposit. It allows you to have a signed history of the condition of the dwelling when you signed the contract. It can consist of images to indicate condition of carpets, wall surfaces, curtains and woodwork when the tenants moved in.

Contract – It virtually goes without saying that will be necessary to get an agreement created.

Building Insurance – Verify your premises insurance cover – this will probably have to be modified if you are switching the property from your principal home to a rental property

EPC – Property owners are now required to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate on the home for letting it out.

Deposit Protection Scheme – Home owners will also be having to save the occupant deposit in a deposit protection scheme – which protects the tenant, to an extent, in cases of dispute.